Home > Parents and Family > Making the Most of the Residence Life Experience
  • Making the Most of the Residence Life Experience

    New residential students often have many questions about living on campus. Below are some commonly asked questions and answers you can share with your students.


  • Residence Life FAQs

    How do I get a roommate? What if I don't like my roommate?

    Students new to the college or those without roommates at the time of housing selection are assigned a roommate by the Dean of Students. Every effort is made to match students with common interests and behavioral habits. However, roommate pairings are not always successful even when the student selects his/her own. Students experiencing roommate difficulties should speak with their Prefect (resident assistant) and Residence Hall Director (RHD) to develop a plan to resolve the situation. In the event a conflict cannot be resolved, the Dean of Students will aid the student to identify other potential roommates. Room changes are not usually granted until the fourth week of the fall semester for first year students and the second week for upper class students. If a student finds him or herself without a roommate, it is the responsibility of the student to secure a roommate, adhere to the consolidation policy, or pay the $1,834 surcharge per semester to purchase the room as a single (space permitting). 

    Do I have to live on-campus? What type of housing is available?

     Freshmen who are under 21 years of age are required to reside on-campus or may live with a parent/legal guardian if within a 50-mile radius of the campus. All freshmen under 21 will be housed in Saint Benedict Hall, which serves as a center for the first-year student population with an on-site classroom, a computer lab, study areas, and a game room. Transfer students of sophomore status or above may choose to live in one of five residence hall designated for upper class students. Each year a lottery is held in April for current students to select rooms for the upcoming academic year. Saint Benedict (first year only), Bonaventure and Gerard Halls offer double occupancy rooms. Singles are available in Wimmer Hall only. Aurelius Hall features three-room suites for seniors and juniors. Rooney Hall features four-person suites with a private bath for seniors and juniors. Aurelius, Saint Benedict, and Rooney Halls are air conditioned. Rooney Hall also features apartments (usually seniors only) with four single rooms, two bathrooms, a common area, and a fully equipped kitchen.

    What kind of food service is provided? Am I required to have a meal plan?

    Food service is available through the Community Center Dining Hall (unlimited seconds) and the Shack (a-la-carte). All students residing on-campus must have a meal plan. Freshmen residents are required to purchase a 15 or 19 meal plan, for at least the first semester. Upper class students are able to choose between several plans. Further information regarding meal plans will be sent to students during the summer.

    What types of items am I permitted to have in my residence hall room?

    Incoming students will receive a list of items permitted in the residence halls with their room assignment in July. Students should speak with their roommate before arriving about what items can be shared versus those that each person should bring. It is also recommended that students bring only the essentials on the first day and see how much room is left for other things. Small refrigerators are permitted. Students in Bonaventure, Gerard, and Wimmer Hall may bring a private A/C unit which meets College specifications. Pets (other than non-carnivorous fish in 10 gallon containers or less), hotplates, indoor grills, toasters, and microwaves should be left at home. For a complete list, please refer to the Residence Life policies found in the Student Handbook.

    Are there policies in the residence hall that I must follow?

    SVC has developed policies and procedures which are outlined in the Student Handbook and the Residence Hall Contract. Policies in the residence halls cover such issues such as alcohol/drug consumption and possession, visitation, quiet hours, pets, and other guidelines developed to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for everyone.

    Who supervises the residence halls? Who do I go to if I have a problem?

     Each residence hall is supervised by a Residence Hall Director (RHD) who serves as the chief administrator for the building. He or she is responsible for the operations and staff of the assigned residence hall. One or two Assistant Residence Hall Directors (ARHD) work in each building to provide administrative and operational support to the Residence Hall Director. Each RHD and ARHD holds a bachelor's degree and most are enrolled in a master's degree program. Additionally, undergraduate students serve as Prefects (resident assistants) and are responsible for a designated floor or area. Each residence hall has between three and twenty-one Prefects who have at least sophomore class standing. All residence hall staff reside in their assigned residence hall and can be contacted by phone, email, or in person. A staff office is located in each building and should be consulted for contact information and schedules of availability. Additionally, at least one Prefect is on duty every night in each residence hall.

    What is the Residence Hall Contract?

    All students residing on campus must sign the residence hall contract before taking occupancy of their room. The contract requires the student to live in the residence hall for one academic year, unless the student withdraws from SVC or falls below 12 credit hours. Deadlines for withdrawing from housing prior to the completion of the first week of the fall semester are outlined. It is important that the information in the contract is reviewed carefully by the students and shared with parents.