About William Snyder Ph.D.
Dr. Snyder delights in sharing with his students tales and discoveries accumulated over four decades of teaching, writing, researching and traveling. His interest in interdisciplinary modes of thinking always finds a place in his courses, which routinely incorporate music, art and contemporary culture. His greatest source of gratification, however, is seeing in his majors the same love of language, creativity, stories and characters that he found and enjoyed in his peers during his days as an English major at Saint Vincent.
- Article, "The Yellow Wall-Paper" as Modern Art, in A Woman's Place is not in the Home: The Role of Place in the Life and Writing of Charlotte Perkins Gilman, collection of essays on Charlotte Perkins Gilman (pending 2016), Jill Bergman,
- Review, Ideology and Utopia in the Poetry of William Blake, by Nicholas M. Williams, (for Choice), July 1998
- Review, William Hogarth: A Life, by Jennie Uglow, (for Choice), April 1998
- Transcript, "The Computer Classroom as a Matrix for Interdisciplinary Dialogue," in proceedings of MacBeth National Conference, Bethany, WV, April 1997
- Review, Revolution in Romanticism, by Joel Haefner and Carol Shiner Wilson, eds. (for Choice) 1994
- Review, Dark Figures in the Desired Country, by Gerda Norvig, (for Choice), 1993
- Review, The Return of the Visible in British Romanticism, by William Galperin, 1993 (for Choice)
- Article, "'Mother Nature's Other Natures: Landscape in Women's Writing, 1770-1830," Women's Studies, Summer 1992.
- Review, Female Heroism in the Pastoral, by Gail David, 1991 (for Choice)
- Review, The Search for the Picturesque by Malcolm Andrews, in European Romantic Review, Summer 1990
- Article, "A Sentence-Revising Format for Basic Writers," Journal of Developmental Education, September 1987
- Article, "Wordsworth, Nature Poet of the Divine," The Temple Artisan, Halcyon, California, Summer 1985
- "A Design for Assignment-Making," College English Association Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, March 2009
- "A Model for Hybrid Course Development," Teaching Enhancement and Mentoring Program, Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, PA, October 2012
- "A Pilgrim's Progress Through Academic Discourse," Conference on Teaching Excellence, Lycoming College, Williamsport, PA, May 2003
- "A Scape of One's Own: Autobiography and Place in Gilman's Fiction," Charlotte Perkins Gilman International Society Conference, Boston, June 2015
- "Art and Perceptual Surprise," St. Vincent Lecture Series, February 1992
- "British Literature Survey and Digital Layering," Midwest Modern Language Association, Columbus, Ohio, November, 2015
- "Contemporary Teaching Methodologies," Shandong University, People's Republic of China, May, 1996.
- "Creativity and the Upper Writing Curriculum," EAPSU Conference, California University of Pennsylvania, October 2014
- "Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum," Teaching Enhancement and Mentoring Program, Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, PA, October 2010
- "Gender Ideology and the Sublime in Visual and Verbal Art of the Romantic Period," North American Society for the Study of Romanticism, London, Ontario, August, 1993
- "Gendered Responses to the Sublime in Romanticism," American Conference on Romanticism, The Penn State University, October 1994
- "Hawthorne's Delineation of Character in The Scarlet Letter," Wyoming Conference on English, June 1991
- "Impressionism in American Regional Stories," Northeast MLA, Boston, March 2013
- "Interdisciplinary Writing And Technology," Pacific Coast Writing Labs Conference, Pepperdine University, October 1992
- "Perceptual Ambiguity in Wordsworth and Turner," Northeast MLA, Boston, April 1987
- "Picturesque Poetry and Painting as Feminine Province," Western Society of Eighteenth-Century Studies, University of San Diego, February 1991
- "Reconstructing an English Department for the 21st Century," at NCTE National Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, November 2005
- "Re-framing the Picturesque," American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, March 2016. Panel chair.
- "Romantic Painting Informing Poetic Theory," Northeast MLA, Harrisburg, PA, 2014
- "The Computer Classroom as a Matrix for Interdisciplinary Dialogue," MacBeth National Conference, Bethany, WV, April 1997
- "The Re-gendering of Romantic Landscape," Seton Hill College Fine Arts Forum, February 1993
- “’The Yellow Wall-Paper’ as Modern Art,” Charlotte Perkins Gilman International Conference, Missoula, MT, June 2011; Northeast MLA, Rochester, NY, March 2012
- "Six Principles of Good Writing and the Interdisciplinary Writing Program at Saint Vincent College," at NCTE National Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, November 2005
- "The Yellow Wall-Paper' as Modern Art," Charlotte Perkins Gilman International Society University of Montana, 2011