(Deadline to apply: Until filled)
Saint Vincent College seeks applications for Powerhouse Fireman in Facilities Maintenance Office. This is a full-time position. This position will perform steam plant duties to include maintenance of 2 tri-fired boilers including all water pumping equipment, blowers, coal feeding systems and exhaust systems, main steam line and condensate return systems. Must be able to work with a diverse group of dept. heads such as Archabbot, Prior, faculty dept heads, students, tradesmen, outside contractors and vendors, and custodians.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Fifth Class Engineer, National Institute for the Uniform Licensing of Power Engineers, Inc. (NIULPE, Inc.) preferred.
Knowledge of basic steam/boiler plants and distribution systems with 1-3 years of hands-on experience preferred.
Knowledge of basic electrical systems and wiring principles, plumbing systems.
Knowledgeable in occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade, building and facilities maintenance, safety and awareness of security issues.
- Under direct supervision and prior to the start of heating season, ensure that the steam plant system equipment is inspected, tested and ready for operation.
- Monitor the boiler systems to ensure they are in proper operating condition.Ensure that proper operating levels of all fluids and steam are maintained.
- Operate plant boilers with tasks that include ash removal, boiler regulating during operations, blow downs and clean outs, minor repairs during shifts and daily maintenance of operations.
- Check automatic feed and temperature controls to see that they are in proper operating condition, including chemical feed systems.
- Analyze cause of trouble in the event of emergency or breakdown and report to Supervisor. Assist in repair or see that repairs are made. Assist in diagnosing malfunctions in equipment, systems and machinery.
- Keep Powerhouse and related equipment clean and orderly
- Ensure the Powerhouse operates in a manner to ensure minimum environmental impact.
- Perform duties from written work orders. Maintain time and work records.
- Responsible for performing routine, preventive and corrective maintenance tasks necessary to ensure the continuous safe and efficient operation of the equipment and related systems, both inside and outside the facility.
- Responsible for taking readings and maintaining operating and maintenance logbooks as required and assigned; creating reports and accumulating other information necessary for production reports and record keeping.
- Under supervision perform water quality test and application of required chemicals.
- Must be able to read, understand and interpret blueprints and schematics; have the ability to converse in technical terms with engineers, technicians, and mechanics.Must be able to follow written instructions.
- Must be able and willing to work any ship, or a rotating shift, of which shifts schedules may vary and/or be adjusted long or short term to accommodate plant operational or maintenance functions. Powerhouse operates and is manned on a 24/7 basis.
- Must be able to accept responsibility, work well independently or as an integral team member. Must be highly motivated, willing to continue technical training on an ongoing basis. Must be willing to accept changing qualifications and job responsibilities with future changing modes of operation, equipment addition and configuration.
- Perform any other maintenance work assignments as directed.
- Required to perform other assignments such as grounds maintenance and moving/event set up.
- Working with others with maintenance task and repairs.
- Occasional interaction with students, faculty, department heads, vice presidents, department directors and alike.
- Notify supervisor of unusual conditions, fire alarms, smoke alarms, power interruptions and utility service issues.
- Responsible for ensuring plant equipment and systems is operated in a safe and efficient manner. Conduct facility walkthroughs, as required, inspecting equipment and systems for anomalies, leaks, monitoring gauges and other equipment on a routine basis,
- Monitor all plant parameters for proper operation, taking corrective action as necessary and notifying management in the event of unsafe conditions, or conditions that may jeopardize the effectiveness, output, or reliability of the facility, or other unusual conditions such as utility interruptions, fire alarms, etc.
- Operate power equipment related to trade and grounds work such as saws, drills, high-pressure steam boilers, high horsepower motors, mowers and grounds hand tools.
Special challenges and environment:
Must understand how to follow safety precautions and procedures both verbal and written. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Working in Mechanical rooms with high voltage and high-pressure steam.
Perform repetitive job where close attention to detail is required during checking of water and steam pressure and water testing and treatments.
Physical exertion required to operate valves, use hand tools on repairs to maintain system. Must be able to work with heights, including catwalks, chemicals, and in manholes, tunnels and ditches; ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
Must be able to adjust to continual changes while planning and finishing jobs. Have the ability to establish priorities and work independently with minimal supervision.
Must be available, on call at all times; willing to work all shifts, call-ins; must be dependable.
Various indoor and outdoor work environments are to be expected which include extremes of temperature, noise, dust, and humidity. Work environments may also include exposure to elevated areas or confined spaces. Every effort will be made to maintain a safe work environment. The employee must realize that certain electrical and chemical hazards exist and that potential managed exposure is necessary for the completion of certain tasks.