James Kellam Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Biology
Ph.D., Purdue University
B.A., College of the Atlantic
Conservation Biology and Lab
Endangered Species Conservation
General Biology I and Lab
Human Biology and Lab
Junior Research Seminar
Wildlife Biology and Lab
- Behavioral Ecology
- Wildlife Biology
- Kellam J.S. 2003. Pair bond maintenance in pileated woodpeckers at roost sites during autumn. Wilson Bulletin 115: 186-192.
- Kellam J.S., Wingfield J.C., and Lucas J.R. 2004. Nonbreeding season pairing behavior and the annual cycle of testosterone in male and female downy woodpeckers, Picoides pubescens. Hormones and Behavior 46: 703-714.
- Koenig W.D., Walters E.L., Walters J.R., Kellam J.S., Michalek K.G., and Schrader M.S. 2005. Seasonal body weight variation in five species of woodpeckers. The Condor 107: 810-822.
- Kellam J.S., Lucas J.R., and Wingfield J.C. 2006. The role of testosterone in male downy woodpeckers in winter home range use, mate interactions and female foraging behaviour. Animal Behaviour 71: 695-707.
- Kellam, J.S. 2014. Rare extra-pair copulation in Downy Woodpeckers. Northeastern Naturalist 21: N8-N12.
- Kellam, J.S. and J.R. Lucas. 2014. Exogenous testosterone in male Downy Woodpeckers leads to reduced calling behavior of both males and their female partners during the nonbreeding period. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 126: 249-260.
- Hutchinson, D.K. and J. S. Kellam. 2015. A test of the self-medication hypothesis for anting behavior in Blue Jays. BIOS 86: 144-151.
- Barnett, J., D.A. Bell, B. Bethke, J. Kellam, J. Koehl, M. Rhodes, and C. Walter. Putting student research into context: Lessons from over 25 years of integrating student initiated research with interdisciplinary writing and departmental assessment. Natio
- Kaser, D.A., J.S. Kellam, and M.G. Rivardo. Color discrimination in White-necked Ravens (Corvus albicollis). Animal Behavior Management Alliance Annual Meeting, Apr 2013. Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Kellam, J.S. and M.C. Brittingham. Diurnal distribution and flock sizes of communally roosting American crows (poster). Joint Meeting of the American Ornithologists' Union, Cooper Ornithological Society, and Society of Canadian Ornithologists, Aug 2008. P
- Kellam, J.S. Exogenous testosterone has a negative effect on calling behavior of male and female Downy Woodpeckers in the non-breeding period. Joint Meeting of the American Ornithologists' Union and the Cooper Ornithological Society, Aug 2013. Chicago, IL
- Kellam, J.S. Purpose, execution, and effects of lethal and non-lethal management techniques at a communal roost of American crows (Corvus brachyrhyncos). XIV International Conference of the Society for Human Ecology, Oct 2006. Bar Harbor, ME.
- 2006 Convener of a scientific panel: “Crows in Lancaster: A Community Forum on Minimizing Human-Crow Conflict,” co-sponsored by Franklin & Marshall College’s Center for Liberal Arts and Society and the Lancaster Bird Club. Franklin & Marshall College, Oct
- 2006-2007 Collaboration with Dr. Margaret Brittingham (Pennsylvania State University) on American Crow research. Subcontract work funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and the Franklin & Marshall College Faculty Research Fund.
- 2013-2018 Co-Principle Investigator on a grant from the National Science Foundation S-STEM Program to Saint Vincent College: "Biology Scholars: Literature, Laboratory, and Leadership Program." Principle Investigator: J. Koehl and Co-PIs A. Gahr, S. Jodis.
- 2015 Sabbatical research on woodpecker nesting behavior and spatial relationships at Powdermill Nature Reserve.