Jessica Harvey Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Communication
Ph.D., University of Washington
M.A., Arizona State University, West campus
B.A., Purdue University
Children and the Media
Communication Research Methods
Introduction to Mass Media
Public Relations Strategies
Research on Children and the Media
About Jessica Harvey Ph.D.
Dr. Harvey is interested in the ways that family communication, as well as media literacy education, influence media behavior and media effects. Prior to joining the faculty at Saint Vincent College, she was a board member for Action for Media Education in Seattle, WA, and worked with Teen Futures Media Network at the University of Washington. Her recent work focuses on parent-child communication about gender stereotyped media content and secondary educators’ perspectives on media literacy and young people’s media behaviors. Dr. Harvey has worked with the Fred Rogers Scholars at Saint Vincent College and is currently the faculty advisor to the communication honor society, Lambda Pi Eta.
- Manusov, V., Docan-Morgan, T., & Harvey, J. (2015). Nonverbal firsts: When nonverbal cues are the impetus of relational and personal change in romantic relationships. In A. Kostic and D. Chadee (Eds). Social Psychology of Nonverbal Communications
- Kam, J., Ningxin, C., & Harvey, J., (2014). Latino and European American early adolescents' exposure to music with substance-use references: Examining parent-child communication as a moderator. Journal of Adolescence, 37, 185-196.
- Docan-Morgan, D., Manusov, V. & Harvey, J. (2013). When a small thing means so much: Nonverbal cues as turning points in relationships. Interpersona,7(1), 110-124.
- Manusov, V., & Harvey, J. (2011). Bumps and tears on the road to the presidency: Media framing of nonverbal events in the 2008 democratic election. Western Journal of Communication, 75(3), 282-303.
- Waldron, V., Kelley, D., & Harvey, J. (2008). Forgiving tactics and relational outcomes. In M. T. Motley (Ed). Studies in Applied Interpersonal Communication (pp. 165-183). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.