Skip to main content



  • Bachelor of Education
  • Minor
  • Certificates

Becoming a Teacher

What does it mean to become a teacher? How does a student prepare to be an effective teacher? Students at the Saint Vincent Education Department learn and are engaged in the following:

  • Successfully managing a classroom while establishing a sense of place where students experience an equitable and purposeful learning environment.
  • Using the latest technologies to prepare students for the challenges of the future.
  • Organizing and planning the day with a thorough amount of content knowledge and pedagogy skills.
  • Using a variety of instructional strategies to address student’s differentiated learning styles.
  • Displaying a sense of professionalism that permeates the classroom and personal lives.
If this type of work sounds interesting and exciting, Saint Vincent College’s Education Department is the place where you can explore the possibilities of your vision. Prepare for a teaching career with a degree in education!

What Can I Do With a Degree in Education?

Major in Early Childhood Education PreK-4

This major is perfect for those looking to teach young children, preparing them for a childhood of learning and play. Graduates with an Early Childhood Pre K-4 degree are ideally prepared to make a positive difference in the lives of young children and their families.

Learn More

Major in Middle Grades 4-8 Education 

Middle school is a crucial time for children as they transition from their early childhood to their teenage years. Teachers with a Middle Grades degree familiarize their students more advanced subjects, while also helping them navigate the trials of discovering and building their identities and “growing up.” 

Learn More

Certification in K-12 Education

Students who are passionate about teaching art, business computer and information technology, Chinese, French or Spanish to students ranging from kindergarten to high school, will find this certification is perfect for them.

Learn More

Certification in Secondary Education 7-12

Graduates with a secondary education certification will go on to become teachers in junior and senior high schools, teaching science, English, history or mathematics. Their task is to build on knowledge that these students acquired in middle school, arming them with the education necessary to succeed in college, trade school or professionally.

Learn More

Minor in Disability Studies: Special Education

The minor in disability studies: special education is ideal for students looking to broaden their skill set and to develop an ability to work with and help children with disabilities. Early childhood education and middle level education majors will find this minor especially helpful, as teachers with a dual certification that includes special education will be desirable to school districts looking to offer inclusive education without the need to have both a regular education teacher and a special educator in the classroom. 

But students in other majors, including psychology, criminology, theology, occupational therapy, physical therapy and sociology, can also benefit from the minor. The gained knowledge of the world of disabilities greatly increases their flexibility as they look to begin careers in social service agencies and rehabilitation agencies.

Learn More

Minor in Education For Non-Education Majors

The minor in disability studies: special education can be an ideal supplement for graduates in psychology, criminology, theology, occupational therapy, physical therapy or sociology looking to work in non-school settings with individuals who have disabilities, or to investigate issues concerning disabilities.

The world of special education includes people with emotional disabilities, autism, intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, speech disorders, vision and hearing disabilities and learning disabilities. Having an understanding of the various disabilities and how best to serve individuals with disabilities will prove beneficial to graduates in disciplines other than education. 

Non-education majors will not earn a certificate to teach special education. They will have the minor listed on their transcripts.

Learn More

Program Highlights

Pennsylvania Teacher Reciprocity Agreements

Through the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, Pennsylvania allows individuals who have completed a teacher preparation program, or who have already become teachers in other states, to be awarded Pennsylvania teaching certification through reciprocity. Requirements of candidates through reciprocity are the following:
  • Been awarded a baccalaureate degree.
  • Completed a state-approved teacher education program, including a supervised student teaching experience, leading to a comparable or broader certificate in the member state.
  • Received the recommendation from the certification officer at the college or university on an application form designated by this Bureau.
  • Complied with all ancillary requirements, including Pennsylvania tests and 3.0 GPA. Six credits in math and six credits in English are also required for full certification.
  • Met all Pennsylvania requirements related to citizenship as well as moral, ethical and physical/mental fitness.
For more information about the process of earning teaching certification through reciprocity, explore the Pennsylvania Department of Education website, or call 717-728-3224. Information about Interstate agreements can be found here: PDE Interstate Certification Agreement.

Transferring a PA Teaching Certificate to Another State

Students holding a Pennsylvania teaching certification can also transfer their teaching certificate to any of the states listed below without completing a teacher education program within that state. Each state may have different testing and application requirements, but PA certified candidates can apply to transfer their certificate, and if need be, take the specific state’s licensure exam(s).  Students need to check each state's department of education website for specific information on what is needed to transfer a PA certificate. 

The following are member states of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement who have signed reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania.


New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota

Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virginia